Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday Again

"Ashes are a sign of penitence for the sin in our lives"
This Lenten season I am giving up shopping for clothes for myself.
Here's what I said about Lent last year:
Today marks the beginning of the 40 days leading up to Easter, we call it Lent. During the Lenten season we are called to focus on our spiritual relationship to God and grow in faith. To help focus our minds more on God we make a resolution of some kind, either to sacrifice something you like to do (like eat McDonalds) or add something good and selfless to your life (like make breakfast for your husband). We wear ashes on our foreheads today as an outward sign that says "we believe". We also do not eat meat on Fridays during this time as an extra way to remind us that the season is not about doing exactly what you want to do , when you want to do it, but to focus on a more holy goal. I enjoy this time that is specially prescribed in the Catholic church to work on our Godliness, and therefore, our ability to love like He loves,
without selfishness.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this. I was actually thinking about giving up shopping for clothes for me too...loving your sweet spirit girl.

    ReplyDelete